Pat Carson from TDK gave a short presentation on CogNEA today at the SDRF CRWG / Secondary Spectrum Test Group joint meeting and said the information was for public consumption, so here’s some info in addition to the earlier press release.
1) CogNEA is basically the technical side of the White Space Coalition (the lobbying side). (TDK was a member of the WSC)
2) CogNEA is nominally now “open” for membership, but the new membership process has not been defined.
3) The standard CogNEA is developing defines a PHY, a MAC, and the extent of the cognitive capabilities is geolocation + sensing. Unlike the 802 ECWS plans, there is no current plan for the standard to have [explicit coexistence capabilities - ed, wow, I left that sentence unfinished for a week.]
4) CogNEA is intending this for the following applications: In-home High Definition MultiMedia (HD MM) but not wireless HDMI, Networking and distribution solutions that overcome the whole home coverage problems inherent to solutions using ISM bands, Internet Access for communities, neighborhoods, campuses, Ad-Hoc Mesh networks, Tele-health, Home automation and control. Currently these are handled by different standards (e.g., Zigbee, WiFi, Bluetooth) but the PHY is intended to handle everything (basically WLAN and smaller).
5) The Standard was at V0.70 the last time Pat checked, but it may have been updated at the ECWS meeting (the CogNEA meetings have been going on as sidebars at related meetings). The plan is to bring it to a SDO such as ISO in mid-2009.